From: Jason Huebel <jhuebel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 planning
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 04:44:26
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 K, so I've been sitting back watching this thread, formulating my evil
5 response. :-) So here goes:
6
7 LiveCDs:
8 - ---
9 I like the idea of moving to a 4 month release cycle in 2005.
10
11 However, I think the quarterly release cycle is healthly for the amd64
12 arch right now because we are working to refine our LiveCDs for various
13 hardware. It important that we have more frequent updates to our
14 LiveCDs because amd64 hardware is still a moving target. For instance,
15 it's only been in the past few months that amd64 laptops have come on to
16 the market in any volume. So we're working on refining the available
17 kernels to support them.
20 GRP:
21 - ---
22 Face it, devs hate having to build GRP because it's the longest part of
23 our release process. But even I've used the GRP packages a number of
24 times so I could quickly build a Gentoo box on slow hardware. I really
25 would hate to have to build KDE or GNOME on a P3/550. :-)
26
27 GRP is good for users, but time consuming for releng. Like it or not,
28 it's a necessary evil.
31 Feature Requests:
32 - ---
33 Releases aren't always about new features. I think that we should
34 consider having one or two releases a year that include significant new
35 features, but the other releases are maintenance. It seems to me that a
36 .0 release is a feature release, while >=.1 is maintenance. Or am I just
37 naive about what version numbers should really mean? ;-)
38
39 I would even be cool with having .0 and .2 as feature releases, like
40 jforman mentioned. But I think it's overly ambitious to include some
41 new whizbang feature in every release.
44 LiveCDs:
45 - ---
46 Could the LiveCD's be broken up differently, making them easier to
47 maintain? What if there was one bootable CD -- bootCD -- rather than
48 two -- universal and minimal? That bootCD could be ejected and the user
49 could insert the appropriate stageCD. The stageCD's wouldn't need to be
50 bootable. So, you could have:
51
52 bootCD - bootable, docs
53 stage1CD - stage1 tarball, distfiles
54 stage2CD - stage2 tarball, distfiles
55 stage3CD - stage3 tarball, distfiles
56 packageCD - packages
57
58 Don't know if this idea has any merit, but...
61 Other Thoughts:
62 - ---
63 catalyst docs need attention. 2004.1 was my first release and it was
64 tough. zhen and beejay were a HUGE help, but I found there were times
65 when my CPU sat idle because I didn't know what to do next. So I had to
66 wait around in the -releng channel for help. I understand that everyone
67 is busy and can't cater to my schedule (don't I wish :-), but if there
68 were some more comprehensive docs (or even some type of checklist) we
69 would all be better off.
70
71 I've got some handwritten notes on the steps for building a release. I
72 guess I could XML-ify them if they would be useful to others.
75 That's about all I can think of for now. It's been a long day and I have
76 a nice bottle of cognac calling my name...
77
78 "Jason... Drink me..."
79 /me wanders off...
82 Jason Huebel