From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Fwd: [gentoo-amd64] 2004.3 Testing
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:07:22
1 On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:12, John Davis wrote:
2 > Isn't that a legacy CVS module? I seem to remember conversation sometime
3 > back that gentoo-src was deprecated in favor of gentoo/src...
4
5 No idea. I know that portage is still under gentoo-src, so I just stuck
6 it there. If it needs to be moved, we can move it at some point.
7
8 > I *need* some help with udev. I don't know what needs to be done to
9 > implement it. I will surely add it in though. As for bootsplash, doesn't
10 > Catalyst already support that? As far as fbsplash, I have never heard of
11 > it until this point ..
12
13 Well, tgall and plasmaroo are your resources for the udev stuff, since
14 they are the only people I know of that know anything about it. You
15 will probably need to create a livecd/dev-manager: option for
16 livecd-stage2 to take care of this. There is now a --udev option to
17 genkernel-3.0.2e+, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Right now, it
18 looks like we use the "normal" genkernel line if we don't have
19 livecd-dev-manager or if livecd/dev-manager is devfs, and we add a
20 --udev if it is udev.
21
22 Catalyst supports bootsplash perfectly, but fbsplash has now replaced
23 bootsplash in all 2.6.8+ Gentoo kernels. This was done without so much
24 as a note to any mailing list that I am a part of, so we're pretty much
25 caught off-guard with it. I have no clue as to the status of fbsplash
26 and genkernel, so I don't even know if any support is there. As it
27 stands right now, if we can't get support for it, we're probably going
28 to drop the splash images from the release, simply because the newer
29 drivers in 2.6.8+ and the better SATA handling make it the preferred
30 kernel choice for a single-kernel CD. I am going to try to get with
31 spock in the next day or two and change all the bootsplash-themes-* to
32 splash-themes-* and have them use the "bootsplash" local USE to install
33 the bootsplash themes, simply because we aren't going to see any more
34 kernels with bootsplash added to them.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
39 Games - Developer
40 Gentoo Linux
41
42 Is your power animal a penguin?