From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: ppc@g.o, macos@g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>, Ulrich Plate <plate@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-releng] experimental 2004.3 PPC livecd
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:41:03
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm pleased to announce a new Gentoo Linux 2004.3 PPC rc livecd with a
4 few unique features:
5
6 - The livecd is equipped with a Gentoo MacOS and Gentoo Darwin
7 compatible cross compiler, consisting of gcc Apple build 1666 and
8 cctools[1] Apple build 525 both found in Apple Xcode[2] 1.5.
9 - The livecd announces its toolchains using RendezVous[3] + distcc to
10 existing Gentoo MacOS or Gentoo Darwin (or Gentoo Linux) installations
11 on the network.
12 - Trivial Xcode IDE integration [4] (But currently requires
13 Gentoo/MacOS to be installed to be taken advantage of.)
14 - Out of the box CHRP, PREP and Pegasos compatiblity.
15
16 The livecd should be online at the usual locations (i.e. my dev.g.o
17 homedir) approximately by the end of this workweek. Already available
18 on my dual-g5 development machine.
19
20 Best regards,
21
22 Pieter Van den Abeele
25 Notes:
26
27 [1] Binutils hasn't got a powerpc-apple-darwin target. Apple uses its
28 own assembler/linker package called cctools. Getting it running on a
29 linux host was non-trivial.
30 [2] Xcode is the Apple IDE, uses gcc as compiler internally
31 [3] RendezVous is the Apple name for ZeroConf
32 http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/faq.html
33 [4]
34 http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/
35 Build_System/Dist_Builds/distributed_builds.html

PGP.sig application/pgp-signature