From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:26:29
1 Peter Weber wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I now that Chris Gianelloni loves his LiveCD an the GUI-Installer and I
5 > know that he don't like to accept changes he don't support personally.
6 > But I do that know, so please don't kill me:
7 >
8 > Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because:
9 >
10 > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
11
12 The LiveCD does this.
13
14 > * More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
15
16 The only "flexibility" that the universal has over the LiveCD is in allowing you
17 a little more customization during a networkless install. However, you can
18 always customize after the fact after installing with the installer.
19
20 > * Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary
21 > hardware, size of image)
22
23 If you want small, use the minimal. Also, you seem to be forgetting the GRP CD,
24 which is required to make the universal CD actually useful.
25
26 > * Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the
27 > gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the
28 > most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
29
30 Why can't you open a terminal and install? I know I've done it many times from
31 the LiveCD.
32
33 > * Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of
34 > space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice)
35 > * One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64
36 > doesn't offer it currently)
37 > * Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more
38 > flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
39
40 Good for them.
41
42 > * There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need
43 > much work to prepare: http://download.libexec.de/ting/2007.0/
44
45 You're always welcome to build your own media if you don't like what we put out.
46 Keep in mind that we are *volunteers*. We like the LiveCD, because it's easier
47 to build and test. That means less time taken and less stress for us. If you
48 don't like it, become a dev and volunteer for release engineering, and build the
49 universal CDs yourself.
52 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
53 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
54 --
55 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list