From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Re: [gentoo-core] live-grp
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:01:47
1 On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 09:48 -0400, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 > Please don't rely on quickpkg. If there is a particular reason
3 > you aren't thinking ahead and using '-b', I would suggest a
4 > paradigm correction or filing a bug to portage-dev.
5 >
6 > Qquickpkg, while nice, may fly under the radar occasionally.
7 > Quickpkg is not used is catalyst (at least I hope it isn't),
8 > and thus doesn't get the testing that -b does. (I test with
9 > catalyst before big/sweeping/confusing/weird changes.)
10
11 Hrrrmn... the problem is that we don't want to provide a bunch of binary
12 packages, but rather want to build them from the installed packages on
13 the LiveCD itself. We already build packages with catalyst (when using
14 pkgcache) the right way, we just don't want to have to add the "bloat"
15 to the LiveCD. Using quickpkg allows us to make a more feature filled
16 LiveCD and removes GRP from the picture altogether (once it is all
17 working) without removing the capabilities that GRP provides (reference
18 platform, quick installs, binary packages).
19
20 Remember that we're just getting started on working on this, so I don't
21 expect to see if really being used for some time. If we need to start
22 doing more testing on quickpkg, then I can start pushing out
23 experimental versions of these things to get wider testing.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
28 Games - Developer
29 Gentoo Linux
32 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list