From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] ANNOUNCEMENT: Testing phase for 2004.0 begins
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 00:40:16
PPC Stages and GRP testing is in progress.

On 07 Jan 2004, at 21:46, John Davis wrote:

> Additionally, if you want livecds for your arch, *please mail Daniel > and > CC the list your kernel .configs and bootloader info ASAP.*
I've cc'ed trance, he's our most qualified person to provide info about these things.
> There is no guarantee that you will get a livecd if you do not do so - > you have been > warned.
Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean by 'getting' a livecd? Is your request intended for people building/integrating/testing livecd support for architectures other than intel/amd? Additionally, has anyone successfully build a livecd for these architectures? Has the catalyst/genkernel code been frozen now? I would like to reiterate that I stated a few weeks ago that the 01/01/2004 deadline for stable ppc livecd building was unrealistic, here's why (again): Unlike for x86, gentoo ppc developers need to 'guess' what minimal set of kernel .configs and minimal set of livecd configurations will work to provide the same level of support as distributors who have access to the machines, and thus can guarantee support. PPC depends heavily on community feedback for that reason. It's like the chicken and egg problem: you can't test ppc .configs for the range of machines they work on without a livecd and you can't test the livecd without a good .config. This process is very frustrating and time consuming. Also, there is no such thing as a virtual machine on PPC, that is able to boot an iso without burning it. So: you have to build, burn and test, rebuild, reburn, retest until you get to a fixpoint (where changing something doesn't improve things). This takes time (at least a few days) and that time needs to be made available in your schedules. Please keep that in mind for scheduling future deadlines. You had been warned before ;-) Frankly, to me your last sentence reads like a threat that you or somebody else intends to be very hard on deadlines and start finger pointing, even though I stated before they were unrealistic at least for the domain I'm managing. Any fingers pointed at me will be rerouted to what I've said before. I don't think any ppc developer (volunteers, including myself) deserves to be punished for releng scheduling issues. This isn't a ppc is holding back gentoo issue, because as everyone knows ppc would be the first to applaud multi-architecture initiatives. This is just a matter of correct scheduling. Pieter -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list