From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Will mirrorselect edit PORTAGE_BINHOST too?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:09:12
1 On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:50, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > If we are to "promote" the use of "emerge --getbinpkg" we need to inform the
3 > user to setup the PORTAGE_BINHOST variable in /etc/make.conf. Will we be able
4 > to direct the user to mirrorselect to intelligently fill in a good mirror, or
5 > will the user have to do this manually?
6
7 Afaik, mirrorselect doesn't support setting PORTAGE_BINHOST yet. I have
8 not actually checked, but would be suprised if it did. It would indeed
9 be good if PORTAGE_BINHOST could just use the GENTOO_MIRRORS setting for
10 looking for binary packages. Maybe this would be a reasonable default.
11 Could you please talk to carpaski about this and work out some solution
12 that will be acceptable? Remember that if something doesn't work right,
13 it is always possible and often beneficial to fix Portage to make it
14 work better for our users and to avoid unwanted complications in our
15 docs.
16
17 Regards,
18