From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:20:26
On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 20:29, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2004 18:06, Brad House wrote: > > no, the rcscripts must now parse the kernel commandline opts > > to get a few options. There's really not many other ways to > > do it. Besides you just proved by your statement that someone > > could instead pass init=/bin/sh and override any sort of > > init process, so trying to make the 'cdroot' option secure > > is obsurd, as there's 10 million other ways to get in if you > > have direct access to the computer. > > The big difference is that init=/bin/sh does not give you a normal working > system, cdboot however could be abused to get a normal functioning > passwordless console. That would allow incapable systemadmins to decide to do > this, or even tell others to do it (the latter I want to prevent). >
I _did_ say it already, but you apparently did not want to listen - the kernel opts is not needed, as there is no need to be dynamic. Its either a livecd or not. And as Paul did mention, it might be open for exploit, although 'init=/bin/bash' will work as well. The baselayout ebuild will be modified to do changes if USE=livecd, as it is sane, and I imagine some other things will need special livecd tweaking as well. Meaning, if USE=livecd, pkg_postinst() will 'echo CDBOOT=1 >> ${ROOT}/etc/rc.conf', and do whatever else. Thanks, -- Martin Schlemmer Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer Cape Town, South Africa