From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Updates, reminders, etc
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:15:17

Brad House wrote:
| GenKernel in CVS
| gentoo/src/genkernel_bradmssw
| is in a usable state. It should work for about any arch
| right now, though it needs the arch-specific configs
| still. The only arch it has been extensively tested on
| is 'amd64', though I have successfully compiled kernels
| for x86, but not booted them.  Weeve also has an in-development
| config for Sparc32 and Sparc64, we need PPC guys to start testing it.

Cool - I can bother the PPC folks too, pvdabeel handles that project,
correct? Do they have their own default config yet, or do they need to
create one?

| Also, drobbins and myself are working on a new linuxrc for the
| initrd in CVS
| gentoo/src/initrd_linuxrc
| which is much improved over the old linuxrc scripts as it
| combines functionality for livecds, and normal booting,
| so there isn't a specific script for each, which makes
| genkernel easier to maintain and use.  Still needs testing
| on loading modules automatically, and genkernel needs to be
| adapted to create the proper dependancy lists for copying
| modules to the initrd.

Good - anything I can do to assist?

| Also I have an internal genkernel version that utilizes less
| space by making use of devfs and devfsd internally for dev nodes
| which reduces overhead by about 650k in the filesystem for the
| inodes it would have to create on a MAKEDEV generic-i386. I should
| be able to commit this over the weekend.

Is this just x86 specific?

| Oh yeah, it should work for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, but has really
| only been tested on 2.4.

If need be, create a snap and mail -dev. Usually they have a good test
response ... I have had luck w/ that avenue before.

Thanks Brad and Daniel - I look forward to seeing this in action :) If
you need me to do any testing, or recruit some people, etc, let me know.
Daniel - are we prepared to integrate this after the linuxrc stuff is
done? I am thinking that it won't be too hard, but you are the python guy ;)

What about the livecd folks - livewire, pvdabeel?

Regards,
//zhen

- --
John Davis
Gentoo Linux Developer
<http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>

- ----
Knowledge can be more terrible than ignorance if you're powerless to
change your world.