From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:10:18
On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:06, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
> I think releng is being quite verbose about catalyst etc. I believe > they underestimated the time needed to make the release this time, but > again; once finished it will rock :-) and releases will be made more > unified and less time will be lost on reinventing the wheel on > alternative architectures.
A lot of it has to do with me being busy in real life and not having the time I was expecting to have to work on catalyst. But I am now clearing up my schedule so this should slowly start to change. I agree that we're a bit late. Zhen's made it clear that being late is "OK". We hope that arch leads will try their best to release sooner rather than later, but that being said, you should also be enjoying your real life, getting sleep, and not feel like you are under a tremendous amount of pressure. Work as hard as you can work while still keeping the work and your life enjoyable. An arch's 2004.0 release can hit mirrors when it's ready, and 2004.1 (after the catalyst transition) will be a piece of cake. Long term, everyone is most productive when they are happy and not under pressure. So work as hard as you can while still having fun, and if we miss a deadline because we had some coordination quirks, so be it. Gentoo will survive. I do not mind being late this time because the investment we make in getting catalyst working for all arches will pay off big time for 2004.1, 2004.2, 2004.3, etc. So I guess you can say that I see light at the end of the tunnel. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list