From: Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:19:13
Hello,

I now that Chris Gianelloni loves his LiveCD an the GUI-Installer and I
know that he don't like to accept changes he don't support personally.
But I do that know, so please don't kill me:

Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because:

* Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
* More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
* Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary
hardware, size of image)
* Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the
gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the
most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
* Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of
space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice)
* One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64
doesn't offer it currently)
* Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more
flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
* There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need
much work to prepare: http://download.libexec.de/ting/2007.0/

Thanks to dertobi for the great work ;-)
Maybe he can support you with necessary and up-to-date catalyst files.

Please don't put this suggestion to your trash can, because you
personally don't need or want it. The Univeral-CD is and was always a
great installation-media, and it was simple.

This is no suggestion against the LiveCD or the Installer!

Thanks
Peter Weber

-- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list