From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: Free-standing Portage / Recent stage3 tarballs / Beta
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:44:44
1 > > .. which may not be received too well. There is a perception that
2 > > Developers *support* ~arch, which is a skewed outlook; it's there for
3 > > testing, it is *not* meant to be used by 99.5% of end users. It is a
4 > > means to an end, a way to track packages which *may* be stable, a QA
5 > > process.
6 > >
7 > > ie: The following would/should be entirely acceptable:
8 > >
9 > > <User> I'm running ~arch of libfoo and it's breaking appwoo, help!
10 > > Need this to work, really *REALLY* badly!
11 > >
12 > > <Dev> We're aware of those issues, but libfoo works fine for most
13 > > of the other apps which require it. No ETA on the fix,
14 > > tough sh*t for running ~arch on a critical box.
15 > >
16 > > <User> Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
17 > >
18 > > If you're interested in helping that QA process, most of the
19 > > architecture teams now have an 'Arch Tester' (AT) setup you could help
20 > > out with...
21 >
22 > Well ... I've been running ~x86 and ~amd64 for a long time and I can't
23 > remember an instance where I needed to drop back to stable for the
24 > things I regularly use, such as R, maxima, Ruby, Lyx, and I can't
25 > remember a time when I needed to drop back to stable for a core
26 > component like the kernel, gcc, perl, or python either. But -- that's
27 > x86 and amd64 -- it might be much riskier on something less common, like
28 > powerpc.
29
30 I wasn't attempting to state "This does not work!"; merely expressing
31 that ~arch isn't really a supported platform. Dropping back to stable
32 isn't really a viable route, once your system is ~arch there's quite a
33 lot to go <BOOM!> if you tried to globally undo that. Wanna try it?
34 ;)
35
36 At the moment Gentoo Linux has a reputation as a "ricer" distribution,
37 and a large proportion of users on ~arch does nothing to solve that...
38 Speaking entirely frankly I'd love to see increased adoption in
39 enterprise, there's a whole lot this distribution has to offer to
40 server farms, for example.
41
42 Look at it this way: by running ~arch whilst *not* a Developer or
43 Arch Tester you're having a very limited impact, or possibly a
44 negative one. Getting onto the 'track' of contributing to the project
45 through the various 'Arch Tester' teams is a great way for a "Power
46 User" to help out; should you feel you're more technically inclined,
47 can write a useful language or three / hack ebuilds as naturally as
48 breathing, I know we need Developers! Especially in understaffed
49 areas like Release Engineering. :)
50
51 I'd have liked to see two main things happen with Gentoo 2008.0:
52
53 * Get rid of stage3 - all our install documentation works with
54 just the stage3 right now, we don't "support" stage1/2
55 installs yet users are /always/ asking on IRC and MLs
56 for help with a stage1 install because they think it's l33t.
57 Remove it from mirrors, put it in /experimental, whatever;
58 we need the stage1/2 somewhere for lotsa reasons, but lets
59 make it less obvious to weed out those clueless ricers.
60
61 (the next one is more of a Portage change)
62 * Have some warning banners on ~arch and a toggle option for
63 make.conf to disable them. There are *far* too many people
64 on IRC suggesting newbies adopt ~arch, and they do so.. :(
65 They've got no clue what it means, then they bitch/whine
66 when they hit ABI issues or other problems and blame Gentoo.
67 Don't document the toggle option in the Install Manual ;)
68
69 Suggested value for disabling the big flashy warning banners :P
70 MODIFYING_ACCEPT_KEYWORDS_MAY_BREAK_MY_BOX_AND_I_UNDERSTAND_THIS
71 --
72 gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list