From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:49:51
Jason Wever wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:02:33 -0500 > "John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote: > > >>I disagree - a snapshot is not a freeze in the same way that our old >>release policy called for. Although you can do what you are saying >>(versions, etc), the tree itself never freezes. Gentoo is a fluid >>distribution. > > > I understand that Gentoo is a fluid distribution, but how can you provide > quality QA on a set of packages if they are constantly changing, > particularly when trying to build binary sets for distribution? > > In order to do proper QA, there is going to have to be some stagnation > between the snapshot and the live portage tree (1.5 to 3 weeks for build > time and proper QA for a given arch). Other than the critical or security > related bug fixes, what are we going to be using as the demarcation for > updating packages in the snapshot, and how will we be ensuring that all > arches are using the same versions of programs (where applicable)? >
We could add a "tinderbox" targed that will try to run in chroot a full automated setup (a la glis) from the latest stage {1 2 3}+grp and then have a testsuite running on it. It won't be a full QA check but at least the minimum needed. -- Luca Barbato Developer Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~lu_zero -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list