From: "Kamil Górnik" <gentoo@×××××.pl>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature request for 2008.0
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:14:38
Andrew Gaffney pisze:
> Brent Baude wrote: >> Andrew Gaffney wrote: >>> Kamil Górnik wrote: >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> I suffer lack of vi (vim) on stage3 since ever. It's not a big >>>> binary and still there are those who prefer vi to nano. >>>> Every time I install gentoo the first time I need to do after >>>> setting up the system is emerging vi before emerge -Du world. >>> >>> We will *never* include vim instead of nano, simple because >>> *everybody* can use nano, which many people have no fscking clue how >>> to use vim. I've been a linux user for almost 8 years, and I've never >>> learned how to use vim. We also will not include *both* packages, >>> because that would bloat the stages unnecessarily. >>> >>> Just because you prefer vim instead of nano doesn't mean we should >>> use it. There are many aspects of the release where somebody thinks >>> that *their* preference is the correct one. It usually isn't :P >>> >> I've heard this numerous times. And Andrew is correct in that stage 3 >> should not ever include vim. That said, how about a static version of >> vim that could hang out somewhere and be brought down and used quite >> easily. I'll leave it to ya'll to figure that one out. > > The busybox binary included in the stage3 has vi support built-in. If > you really want to use vi, you can just do 'busybox vi /path/to/file'. >
ok, last response settles the matter for me :) I was required to learn vi at university and just got used of it. I'm just unabled to use anything apart of vi... And there's no need to start a war because of it ;) Binary static version would require preparation for many ~archs... Once busybox has vi support we can 'EOF' this thread. -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list