From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] catalyst livecd improvements
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:21:26
Hi guys,

I've just committed a batch of improvements to catalyst. They are not
tested yet (will try to run some tests now) but should work. (Let me
know if you have any problems.)

* The boot/kernel/foo/extraversion parameter is now optional rather
  than required. modules/targets.py and
  examples/livecd/runscript/default-runscript.sh
  have been updated to work smoothly if it is not specified.

* New parameter /boot/kernel/foo/packages to specify packages to
  merge after your kernel is built. Use this to merge any kernel-
  dependent things like nvidia-kernel, e1000, etc.

* New parameter /boot/kernel/foo/use to specify USE settings to
  export to the environment. These settings will be used for kernel
  source merge and /boot/kernel/foo/packages merge.

* emerge of kernel sources no longer uses the pkgcache. There is
  no real time benefit to pkgcache in this case, and this allows us
  to use the /boot/kernel/foo/use setting to tweak what patches may
  be included in the kernel sources we are compiling. Also, packages
  specified in /boot/kernel/foo/packages are not built using
  pkgcache, since they are kernel-dependent ebuilds and can't be
  re-used if the kernel sources change.

* targets/livecd-stage2/* has been deprecated. These steps are all
  included in the runscript now. Use the latest default-runscript.sh
  to take advantage of this.

As always, let me know if you need any catalyst features implemented. As
people start using catalyst on their own, we sometimes don't realize
that certain features are needed, so we need your requests. (If catalyst
doesn't do what you need, it is likely
because we haven't added the feature yet rather than an issue of
catalyst not being able to do it.)

Regards,

Daniel