From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:35:39
1 On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 22:47 +0100, Peter Weber wrote:
2 > A other good solution would be merging Universal and Minimal-CD
3 > togehter, so we offer only a smaller Universal-CD (about 200-400 MB) and
4 > a complete LiveCD (about 700 MB).
5
6 Wow. I'm just not even going to respond to this one and just let
7 everybody who knows what the difference between a Minimal CD and an
8 Universal CD snicker to themselves. ;]
9
10 > > * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
11 >
12 > > The LiveCD does this.
13 >
14 > No. Only the Installer does this! This is not possible via shell,
15 > because the users have no access to the voodoo-scripts.
16
17 No, the LiveCD does this. The Installer is a feature of the LiveCD.
18 Also, the Installer doesn't do networked installs, anymore.
19
20 > Why nobody removes Gnome, Open-Office from the LiveCD and replace it by
21 > a true Stage3? It would be also nice, not be forced always switch of the
22 > automatic start of the howl X11-Crap.
23 > Default could be the plain shell, as ever, and a message who says the
24 > user he could type "installer" (for ncurses-installer) and
25 > "gui-installer" (for X11 with Installer). Gentoo is about choices ;-)
26
27 No, Gentoo is about empowering the user to make choices for themselves
28 and providing the tools to facilitate those choices. It doesn't mean
29 that we have to spend countless hours building, testing, and supporting
30 media that we find to be rather useless due to its *very* limited
31 feature set versus the LiveCD.
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
36 Games Developer