From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:19:35
On 12 Jan 2004, at 17:39, Jason Wever wrote:

>> Baselayout changes are essential if we want to have working LiveCDs. > > However, coming into the last 1.5 weeks or so before release without > our > build tools being fully functional, having to finish writing them, QA > them as well as the release seems like a rather large and daunting > task to > try to adequately do in the timeframe provided, regardless of which > arch > you are on.
I agree, it will be very hard to release QA'ed livecds on ppc in time for LWE. But I don't really mind being late this time because the delay is caused by the design and implementation of a fantastic multi-arch tool that will enlarge chances for more/better gentoo releases on all platforms/architectures.
>> The purpose of the original release date was to meet LWE, but as it >> has >> been mentioned before, it is not crucial to release on that date (the >> 22nd). Gentoo is fluid, and so are our releases. Release when you can, >> just try to be as close to the 22nd as you can be. Dates are not as >> important as QA. > > Why can't we have one unified release date for all architectures, > rather > than one or two at a time?
More architectures will be able to release at the same time when the tool is finished.
>> Your assesment is unfair. Our goal, as well as yours, is to provide >> excellent QA. If openssl and baselayout need bumped to fix security >> bugs >> and CDBOOT problems, fine; we cannot release something that is broken. >> The issue at hand has absolutely nothing to do with being a non-x86 >> arch. I am sorry that it takes so long to build, but as I have said, >> release when you can. No one has got you in a chokehold to release on >> the 22nd. If you release on the 29th, I do not care. What I do care >> about is QA. Make sure your release is tested, which I am sure you >> will >> do. > > Then somewhere we need a release TODO list, that shows each task that > needs to be completed and what it's current status is. This will > allow us > all to make better and more informed decisions. > > I'm not trying to be overly ornery here, I'm just trying to do the best > job I can.
I think releng is being quite verbose about catalyst etc. I believe they underestimated the time needed to make the release this time, but again; once finished it will rock :-) and releases will be made more unified and less time will be lost on reinventing the wheel on alternative architectures. Pieter -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list