From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-releng@l.g.o'" <gentoo-releng@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 livecd issue
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:54:45
1 Hi,
2
3 I was put in contact with John Davis about a week ago concerning an issue
4 i'm having with the 2004.2 livecd. After some research, it appears to be a
5 re-emergence of a previously reported problem. See bug id 42345. Initially
6 I thought it was accessibility related (I use speakup), but the problem
7 occurs whether or not speakup is on.
8
9 Details:
10
11 I have a p4 3.4 (northwood) Asus p4c800-e deluxe mobo with 1gb RAM (matched
12 pc-3200 in a dual channel memory configuration). evga fx5900-vivo video
13 card, Seagate s-ata (internal), and an external USB drive bay with a Maxtor
14 40gb hd. Sony dvd and sony cd-rw drives (hdc and hdd respectively). Upon
15 boot with the smp kernel (2.6.7-gentoo-r11) I have an unconfigured eth0
16 (onboard Intel e1000 csa 82547). When I run net-setup I get a kernel panic.
17 The "helpfull" error msg is "n interrupt not synching". I lose keyboard
18 control, etc and only the reset button works.
19
20 The 2.4.26-gentoo-r6? kernel works fine and properly configures the network
21 adapter. I have loaded the system with 2.4.26-gentoo-r9 compiled for SMP
22 support and other than issues relating to booting from a USB external hd,
23 the system seems to be stable. I am however having to insmod usb-storage
24 and rerun devfsd /dev -np in order for the hd to be recognized and root of
25 /dev/sda1 to be loaded. At some point i'll mod the linuxrc to do this
26 automagically. 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 is not yet functional, but this may relate
27 to devfs/udev (i.e. user failure) and I simply haven't had time to gather
28 all relevant information and throughly test.
29
30 At this point I haven't gotten the system fully configured, but I think i'm
31 far enough along to provide logs from the 2.6.7 boot, although logging the
32 panic is beyond my technical skills (I make a decent monkey though, so if
33 you tell me what to type where i'll give it a try). In particular, if I can
34 redirect the log to my hd along with any crash dump i'm more than willing
35 to.
36
37 Regards,
38