From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:19:36
1 On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 20:58, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:22:35 -0600 "Daniel Robbins"
3 > <drobbins@g.o> wrote:
4 > | If some developers and managers don't see any purpose in GRP, make
5 > | sure they have an answer for the thousands of users that they are
6 > | supposed to be serving and who depend on it for a fast install.
7 >
8 > The main objection is not with GRP being used as part of the install,
9 > but with GRP being used *after* the install, when base library versions
10 > have been changed, USE flags have been modified and so on. GRP as it
11 > stands does not work properly in these situations.
12
13 True enough, I think (hope) that was what Kurt was referring to. The
14 users *need* GRP for quick installs.
15
16 About the non-install GRP. Many users do not care what USE flags they
17 use or what cflags they compiled with. They install Gentoo, use it, and
18 that is the end of the story (some users go on to using Gentoo for more
19 advanced means, but not all users do).
20
21 Having GRP that is built with the defaults presented in the system
22 profile for critical packages is something that we should strive for. If
23 we make it very explicit that we *will* not offer support for cases when
24 this GRP was used on a non-default (default meaning they have not
25 modfied the profile use settings, cflags, etc), then I do not see the
26 problem. We have to keep in mind that users are NOT developers - they
27 don't do to their systems what we do to ours. To most users, vanilla
28 gentoo is just fine. If they decide that it is not, they discontinue use
29 of the GRP and simply emerge everything from source.
30
31 What we offer the users is a win-win situation, they have binary
32 versions of critical packages for both ease of use and backup purposes
33 (them: I fried my GCC!!!! Us: ok, grab the package from x mirror to fix
34 it real quick). Of course, I will put this before -dev and -core, but
35 please keep an open mind.
36
37 Cheers,
38 //zhen
39 --
40 John Davis
41 Gentoo Linux Developer
42 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
43
44 ----
45 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
46 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47