From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Releng <gentoo-releng@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86-livecd - bugs and suggestions
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:18:04
1 On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 23:17, Brad House wrote:
2
3 > > Tough, we all have 12 hour or close working days. As for calming down,
4 > > I _am_ calm - you have not seen me on the war path yet =) And I do not
5 > > imagine myself that the -r4 changes was not the only.
6 > >
7 > > Also, 'resigning' from the livecd project because you overstep
8 > > boundaries with no visible regard for the impact or feelings of others,
9 > > is to be frank, silly. Ask me - any change that usually cannot wait a
10 > > few hours to be verified is usually a wrong one. I did this more than
11 > > once myself - overstepping boundaries for this 'critical' fix, and the
12 > > result was worse than what the few extra hours of waiting could ever
13 > > have done.
14 > >
15 > > We do not ask your soul - we ask some sort of regard. Work with us,
16 > > and you will see that most of us will work with you.
17 >
18 > Seeing as I had already 'overstepped' my bounds as you put it and
19 > committed a -r4 in the first place (it was never anything you had
20 > committed), what was the harm at all in me updating my own ebuild?
21
22 I did not talk this time about -r4, I talked about the other commit.
23
24 > Anyhow, we use CVS for collaboration, etc, this send me a diff and I'll
25 > approve it thing is BS as long as we don't mess anything up, which I
26 > have taken steps to make sure I do not.
29 See below.
30
31 > Oh also, just as a little wood for your fire, I committed a patch to
32 > -r2,-r3,-r4, and -r5 that fixes a bug where /dev was not being created
33 > _again_. And I did view this as fairly critical, and it was simplistic.
34
35 If you want to get into it, then technically you 'fixed' it in the
36 wrong place. The real culprit in this situation (and others that might
37 pop up besides /dev if $ROOT != '/'), is keepdir_mount().
38
39 > We are a team, I don't believe ONE person should hold up bug fixes, etc
40 > when things are easily fixed without disturbance. I view myself as a
41 > competant developer, if I were not, perhaps it would be a different
42 > situation. Again, I bring up the point, why do we use CVS if not to
43 > collaborate ?
46 Ok, so please go and commit to portage and see where that gets you. As
47 far as I can see, the only 'team' in your vocabulary, is the one that
48 gets you your way. You obviously fail to see why it is that some core
49 packages have, lets call it 'supervising maintainers' - its to make sure
50 that all changes are regulated and will not break something due to
51 limited understanding from less active developers when it comes to that
52 package.
53
54 Go and have a look at the kernel for instance. All major parts have
55 their respective maintainers who concur changes, and then send it off
56 to Linus. Same thing here.
57
58 The biggest issue here - or reason why I get 'my panties in a wad' - is
59 that you do not even have the decency to let me know about a change. I
60 never said I was the all mighty committer of baselayout - check the
61 ChangeLog .. others _do_ commit there ... _after_ they check with me.
62 Its not what you do, but _how_ you do it.
63
64 What you also seemingly seem to miss, is this is not about me getting my
65 undies tied up, but you repeatedly disregarding any type of system in
66 place, and doing as _you_ please. Yes, _you_. Great hey, its still all
67 about you - just get this ... its not in a good way?
68
69 So please, go get an ego adjustment; un-wad _your_ panties; and play
70 some ball. Just for the record - you did see that I did not CC releng?
71 I see I should apologise for underestimating your righteousness,
72 sorry :/
75 Thanks,
79 Martin Schlemmer
80 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
81 Cape Town, South Africa