From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 (ppc?) cd layout for 2004.0
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:17:33
1 On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 07:22, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > Isn't the smallest subset of packages needed to be able to boot netless
3 > into a stage3:
4 >
5 > a kernel
6 > a bootloader
7 >
8 > only? (Ok, maybe some wierd things like pcmcia/hotplug (anybody using a
9 > pcmcia/usb cdrom?), ...) If the kernel is copied from the cd, only
10 > compiling the bootloader
11 > shouldn't add much to those 20 minutes? I think I can do a ten minutes
12 > install using this technique (at least on ppc).
13
14 Thinking about it, you are correct. But moving logger and cron
15 installation to the "packages install" phase will require fairly
16 significant changes to our docs, and I don't know if it is wise to make
17 those changes so late.
18
19 But if we could, then yes, we could put all the loggers and crons on
20 CD2, and you could install 2004.0 without having to compile anything
21 from source except the kernel, just like 1.4.
22
23 Regards,
24
25 Daniel