From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: base-system@g.o, Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:51:18
I think what paul means is that when a bootloader isn't password
protected, a malign user could pass 'cdroot' to the kernel and exploit
some of the things this triggers in the rc scripts (autologin?) if
those scripts directly parse the arguments passed to the kernel.

The style of exploit is quite similar to passing:

init=/home/hacker/exploit.sh or init=/bin/sh

to the kernel on a system one has direct access to and whose bootloader
isn't pass-protected. This issue is relevant for computers from
computer rooms used for teaching/exams...

But if I'm not mistaken the rc-scripts themselves do not 'parse kernel
output', it's the linuxrc which parses the kernel arguments , and
exports cdboot to the env, right? So there should be no security issues
for systems which don't have an initrd and thus no linuxrc.

Pieter