From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Gentoo 2004.1 Release
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:12:39
1 On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 01:26:13AM +0200, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't it be possible to just provide GRP
3 > instead of the stage2,3 (= one huge GRP tarball anyway).
4
5 This isn't as dumb as it sounds. Afaik, people use mainly stage1 and stage3
6 and the stage1'ers want to have full control and try exploiting as many
7 tweaks as possible (except for those using stage1 because it's elite) while
8 the stage3 users hardly change their USE flags anyway.
9
10 It's been a while that I've heard from stage2 users.
11
12 Perhaps someone is willing to make a testdrive and create a LiveCD with a
13 stage1 and the necessary binary packages to make the entire installation
14 possible without a single compilation (including prebuilt kernels as
15 mentioned earlier in the thread)?
16
17 I'm all in favor of such testdrives, you never know what comes out and the
18 feedback is enormous.
19
20 Wkr,
21 Sven Vermeulen