From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.2 on Asus p4c800-e deluxe (resolved)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:11:36
1 On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 08:30, Whitley CTR Cecil H wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I continued working on my issues over the weekend. Finally bit the
4 > bullet and removed the ide hd from the external USB case and installed
5 > it in the machine. 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 loaded and is running"fine". I
6 > also resolved the issue I was having with the SMP kernel that shipped
7 > with 2004.2 (2.6.7-gentoo-r11). noapic as a kernel command line
8 > option resolved the kernel panic on e1000 initialization (net-setup).
9 > Might want to add that as a solution to bug id 42345. BTW, 2.6.8 with
10 > apic enabled works fine and the e1000 initializes properly.
11
12 I am working on the next series of LiveCDs that will become 2004.3 for
13 x86. Are you willing to help test them? If so, let me know off-list
14 (or on) and I will add you to my list of people to pester daily once I
15 get them going... *grin*
16
17 > If I can get a little off topic advice, I would appreciate it. During
18 > long compiles (xorg-x11, etc) I am getting thermal warnings and the
19 > cpu is being cycled back. I've got four case fans (2 back including
20 > the power supply fan, one side and one top). It is possible that I
21 > disconnected the cpu fan while installing the hd, will have to check
22 > that this evening, but all cables appeared to be in place. I'll
23 > verify that the cpu fan is spinning when the computer is on, but a
24 > power off check appeared that everything was properly connected.
25 > Normal operations like surfing, checking email don't raise the temp
26 > though, it seems limited to long compiles. Is this normal p4 3.4
27 > (northwood) behavior? These compiles are keeping the processor pegged
28 > at or near 100% during the compiles (source pre-fetched).
29
30 It sounds like something is wrong with your cooling setup. Are you
31 keeping your case closed? What do you get from lm-sensors?
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
36 Games - Developer
37 Gentoo Linux
38
39 Is your power animal a penguin?