From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.1 feature list questions
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:53:28
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 22:15, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2
3 > My question to releng regarding non-true cross-compilation is the
4 > following: What changes can we expect to catalyst? I guess some kind of
5 > checking mechanism will be implemented/activated? Should we really call
6 > it cross-compilation in our marketing talk?
7
8 That is a very good point. The cross-compiling that I would like to see
9 is the "true" type, but the likelihood of us meeting that goal for
10 2004.1 is slim. I will consider removing this from the feature request
11 list.
12
13 > Has a roadmap for this feature been designed, or will alternative
14 > architecture profile maintainers suddenly have to reschedule their
15 > agenda to start implementing and bugfixing this feature for their
16 > architecture (when they should be doing more important things)? When
17 > will the super profiles and the necessary syntax be stabilized?
18
19 Seemant, could you elaborate please?
20
21 > 3. Portage GPG signing.
22 >
23 > Questions that should be taken into consideration:
24 >
25 > - What will happen when a developer leaves the project and revokes his
26 > gpg keys? Are we going to be checking signed ebuilds against revoked
27 > keys?
28 > - Can I still commit ebuilds without GPG?
29 >
30 > This topic has been discussed widely, but I have no idea what variant
31 > we're implementing.
32
33 I honestly do not know which variant we are using. I was told by
34 Carpaski and Puggy (the two implementers) that they were almost done
35 with it and they will have a POC very soon. I will follow up with them.
39 > Shown on the 2004.1 feature page is only a list of the people
40 > requesting a feature, not the people implementing it.
41 > I have the impression that features are described only very vaguely
42 > with a lot of fancy words (marketing). We need to separate marketing
43 > from requirements for development purposes. People implementing
44 > requirements work without a schedule and make designs while coding, and
45 > we have no way to test whether the implementation of a feature is good
46 > enough to be included in a release.I think some consistency would be
47 > welcome: either we do everything according to widely established
48 > software engineering standards and that includes simple requirements,
49 > use cases, code documentation, coding standards, roadmaps (with the
50 > 'bureaucracy') or we do it without. A mix of both doesn't work. Infomal
51 > but consistent and realistic SE practices will form the basis of the
52 > things we have been dreaming about for a long time, which we had to
53 > delay because we're continously busy working for/against each other.
54
55 I agree. At this point, there is no formal process to either request a
56 Feature or implement one. Feature Request is one of the last areas of
57 the release process that remain untamed. There needs to be something
58 done about it ... I will hash something out and post it to the list.
59
60 Cheers,
61 //zhen
62 --
63 John Davis
64 Gentoo Linux Developer
65 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
66
67 ----
68 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
69 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47