From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] ATTN: arch leads, important information
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:57:53
1 On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:36:39 -0500
2 John Davis <zhen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > - -livecd kernel .configs for both 2.6 and 2.4
5
6 2.6 may be problematic to get usable on sparc64 in time for release.
7 Currently, the vanilla 2.6.0 has broken keyboard/mouse and serial
8 port support on SBUS based sparc64 machines. Additionally, the loading of
9 ANY console font at boot time will make any sparc64 keyboard unusable.
10
11 There are some patched out there to address the SBUS keyboard/mouse and
12 serial issues (in sparc-dev-sources maintained by wesolows) but none of
13 these have been blessed by Linus or Andrew Martin yet. They seem to work
14 well for those of us SPARC devs who've been using them, but they haven't
15 been extensively tested either.
16
17 The above problem also exists for ALL sparc32 machines, but I'm not as
18 concerned with releases for sparc32 ATM.
19
20 Also, we need to stabilize a new customized gcc ebuild (gcc-sparc64) to
21 build these kernels on sparc64 (but this is probably the easiest part of
22 dealing with all of this and something we are looking into currently).
23
24 As for 2.4, we want configs for 2.4.23 correct?
25
26 > - -specific details on how to configure the bootloader for you arch
27
28 I've put up some docs, as well as the configs for SILO that we've been
29 using at http://dev.gentoo.org/~weeve/silo/
30
31 > - -test genkernel (cvs version/ ~x86) for your arch
32
33 In progress.
36 Additionally, I don't recall if I mentioned this before, but gcloop will
37 not currently build on sparc64 due to our kernel compiler being different
38 from our userland compiler and the fact it doesn't have a working 64 bit
39 ld. Kernel doesn't mind that, but most 3rd party modules don't seem to be
40 able to cope with that.
41
42 gcloop does build on sparc however, though the prerequisite packages
43 currently either lack sparc and/or ~sparc keywords. I also have not
44 tested it's functionality.
47 Jason Wever
48 Gentoo/Sparc Co-Team Lead