From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: John Davis <zhen@g.o>, Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>, Gentoo-Base-System <base-system@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Re: baselayout changes for livecds
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:26:55
1 On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 18:42, Brad House wrote:
2 > yes that would work, but drobbins already expressed a concern with
3 > USE=livecd Since we base our livecds off of a stage3 which would
4 > NOT have USE=livecd, we have to reemerge baselayout. I don't believe
5 > catalyst is capable of reemerging the same package that already exists
6 > on the system without hacking it up some, so the easier way around would
7 > be to make everyone bump the baselayout -rN and resnap the portage tree
8 > and make it depend on that version of baselayout. Just another
9 > step which the whole point to catalyst was to have everything in portage
10 > and easy to use so general users could create their own livecds with
11 > their own apps, etc.
12 > It is a solution, just not the best at this point :/
13 > I still don't see the security concern though, but perhaps I'm
14 > thick headed.
17 Well, you cannot expect anything to just fall into place if you drop
18 this on me right now, and say 'it have to be fixed right now'. How
19 long have work for catalyst been going? Why didn't you involve me
20 sooner if you _knew_ there would be baselayout changes?
21
22 I already stepped back a bit, but I do _not_ see why the livecd stuff
23 should be overhead for all users, if it will be like 1 out of a 1000
24 times actually for startups out there. Is it _really_ that much to
25 ask catalyst to just install /sbin/livecd-functions.sh if not present
26 at the end of stage3 unpack?
27
28 > > Ok, what about catalist install its own version of livecd-functions.sh
29 > > for the moment, with the ebuild only when USE=livecd. We then change
30 > > the bit for sourcing livecd-functions.sh in /sbin/rc to:
31 > >
32 > > --
33 > > --- rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p2/sbin/rc 2003-12-25 19:25:24.000000000
34 > > -0500
35 > > +++ rc-scripts-1.4.3.12p5/sbin/rc 2004-01-16 23:10:40.880824792
36 > > -0500
37 > > @@ -6,6 +6,7 @@
38 > >
39 > > trap ":" INT QUIT TSTP
40 > > source /sbin/functions.sh
41 > > +[ -f /sbin/livecd-functions.sh ] && source /sbin/livecd-functions.sh
42 > > umask 022
43 > >
44 > > try() {
45 > > @@ -163,6 +164,11 @@
46 > > --
47 > >
48 > > Meaning any of the livecd changes will _only_ be available on a livecd,
49 > > which cuts the uneeded overhead, and settles Paul's concerns? When
50 > > USE=livecd then propagated, catalyst can then stop installing its own
51 > > version ...
54 > > --
55 > > Martin Schlemmer
56 > > --
57 > >
58 > > Martin Schlemmer
59 > > Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
60 > > Cape Town, South Africa
66 > --
67 > gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list
70 Martin Schlemmer
71 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
72 Cape Town, South Africa