From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 05:51:03
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I'm still getting the &$%^ thing up! I have the 4200+ -- couldn't > quite bring myself to go for the 5200+. :) I was in a hurry, so after > living with freezes in the 2006.1 Gentoo LiveDVD, I tried Ubuntu > Feisty Fawn-- which also froze. Debian Etch is the one that seems to > be the most stable of the pure 64-bit distros out there so far, but > it's frozen on me too -- while unpacking the 2006.1 AMD64 stage3 > tarball, no less. Right now the machine is dual-booted Etch and CentOS > 5, and if I can get the CentOS X configuration straightened out, I'm > going to see how long *that* one can stay up without freezing. > > I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing > the kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some > /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a > stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The > 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the > other distros seem to be carrying.
Well ... progress of sorts. 2007.0 i686 LiveDVD installs without any glitches at all and is stable as a rock! So I've pretty much ruled out flaky hardware. I haven't been able to get an install to work from the 2007.0 AMD64 Live CD, but the LiveDVD does work. So it's probably just a bad CD writer on the Live CD. 2007.0 looks like a winner! In any event, 2.6.19 / Gentoo 2007.0 is in better shape on my Athlon64 X2 4200+ than either Debian's or CentOS' 2.6.18 -- those are flat out unstable. By the way, I just love the 2007.0 theme on the Live CD and DVD ... is it in Portage? -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list