From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:38:32
1 On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 06:46 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > Firefox, Evolution, Thunderbird and OpenOffice are packages just about
3 > everybody loads, they're packages of significant size taking a fair
4 > amount of time to recompile on a "typical 1 GHz" machine, and they have
5 > frequent updates. In fact, I only started building OpenOffice from
6 > source when I got my dual core Athlon64 X2 5200+ with 4 GB of RAM!
7
8 Umm... we do use OOo-bin already. We can't really switch to FF-bin,
9 though we can ship it (size dependending), since FF is a dependency of a
10 couple other things we ship. Evolution is *not* a large package, and
11 doesn't take long to compile, nor is there a -bin version. We can
12 definitely switch to TB-bin, though.
15 Chris Gianelloni
16 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
17 Games Developer