From: Juan Aguado <juantxorena@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] g-octave
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:22:21
> Do you know how much "members" the "gentoo octave" project have?
My guess is that theres is only one or none.
> Each sentence you write make this more obvious.
Whatever you say.
> 1) You DON'T need to use Github to update the package database. > There's a big and shiny warning on this section of the docs saying > that end-users don't need to read. Just do it if you want to help > other users. Use the --scm option of g-octave, and package.keywords to > unmask the scm packages you want to install. > 2) You DON'T need to use --sync at all, g-octave can install packages > from octave-forge SVN repository with the damn --scm option.
I don't want to install the svn packages from octave-forge repository. I want to install the lastest stable packages from octave-forge. Which is something I cannot do unless I follow some instructions in the docs that, as an end user, I'm not supposed to read.
> 3) stable releases of g-octave comes with a package database, that is > installed by 'emerge --config'. We do this for security reasons. The > live version obviously don't comes with a package database, then you > need the '--sync' option to get one from github.
So I can't use the lastest stable versions of octave-packages unless I use the unstable and masked software and somebody manually mantains an external database. I can't see how this is easier for the end user. Thanks for your time, but I think is easier, faster and better for me if I mantain my own ebuild-based repo. Cheers,