From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: sci@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:55:50
Hi,

I would like to propose the addition of a new category - sci-vis. The category
is intended for scientific visualisation tools. Many of these are currently
in media-gfx and I don't think they belong with photo editors, image
conversion tools etc. The category is quite big already and most of the
ebuilds in there are maintained by quite different herds.

Looking through the tree these are the apps I think should be moved to
sci-vis:

media-gfx/epix
media-gfx/fig2sxd
media-gfx/gnuplot
media-gfx/grace
media-gfx/kpl
media-gfx/labplot
media-gfx/opendx
media-gfx/opendx-samples
media-gfx/qmatplot
media-gfx/quickplot
media-gfx/scigraphica
media-gfx/spectromatic
media-gfx/xd3d
media-gfx/xgraph
sci-misc/gwyddion
sci-mathematics/qtiplot

There could be others I have missed, and there are certainly more that I can
see in bugzilla that will be added. I would appreciate feedback on this. If
everyone is in agreement then I will make this proposal on the gentoo-dev
list.

Thanks,

Marcus