From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage queues
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 04:35:47
Quoting VulK <etn45p4m@×××××.com>:

> Dear all, > this is my first post to gentoo-science and I am writing because I have some > problems running experimental code from the sage project. > My issue is the following: > I have sci-mathematics/sage-4.7-r2 installed from the sage-on-gentoo overlay > and I would like to install the combinat queue; I am following these > instructions: http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/MercurialStepByStep > The command I am supposed to run is > # sage -combinat install > unfortunately -combinat is not recognized by sage as a valid option. I > browsed a little bit around the filesystem and I noticed that $SAGE_ROOT is > empty (except for some documentation) while on other installations of sage > (not using the ebuilds) there is plenty of stuff including a devel/combinat > folder. > Is there an option I can use when installing sage to allow for experimental > sources? or is there any other way I can use queues without installing sage > not using portage? > Thanks > VulK > > PS: some weird behaviour: > > % sage -h > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > | Sage Version 4.7, Release Date: 2011-05-23 | > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Optional arguments: > file.<sage|py|spyx> -- run given .sage, .py or .spyx files > -advanced -- list all command line options > -c <cmd> -- Evaluates cmd as sage code > -experimental -- list all experimental packages that can be installed > -gap [...] -- run Sage's Gap with given arguments > -gp [...] -- run Sage's PARI/GP calculator with given arguments > -h, -? -- print this help message > -i [packages] -- install the given Sage packages > -inotebook [...] -- start the *insecure* Sage notebook > -maxima [...] -- run Sage's Maxima with given arguments > -mwrank [...] -- run Sage's mwrank with given arguments > -n, -notebook [...] -- start the Sage notebook (options are the same > as for the notebook command in Sage) > -optional -- list all optional packages that can be installed > -python [...] -- run the Python interpreter > -R [...] -- run Sage's R with given arguments > -singular [...] -- run Sage's singular with given arguments > -root -- print the Sage root directory > -t [options] <files|dir> > -- test examples in .py, .pyx, .sage or .tex files > options: > -long -- include lines with the phrase > 'long time' > -verbose -- print debugging output during > the test > -optional -- also test all #optional examples > -only-optional <tag1,...,tagn> -- only run tests > including one of the #optional tags > -randorder[=seed] -- randomize order of tests > -v, -version -- print the Sage version > > % sage -experimental > sage-run received unknown option: -experimental > usage: sage [options] > Try 'sage -h' for more information.
Hi VuLK, unfortunately at this stage we do not support that in sage-on-gentoo. Actually the version we ship is stripped down in some ways. Let me explain: sage has its own upgrade system, it wouldn't work in the kind of installation we do and that would mean changing, adding and deleting files in the system outside the control of the package manager. We definitely don't want to do that. So we removed the options for sage upgrade. The only option to upgrade is portage/package-core etc... There are options to help you create spkg, install spkg and so on, we could probably give back the one to create spkg but we otherwise completely circumvent the sage build system so the corresponding options are gone. The main problem is that sage's normal distribution model is trying to be developer friendly but isn't distro friendly. We coerced it into a distro which makes it more appealing for an end user to try but it is stripped of some of the dev-friendly features. There are advantages and disadvantages for both models. We can be/are more up to date than sage with some packages. If I patch something I literally have to reinstall the whole of of the sage spkg from portage, the equivalent of sage -ba while from vanilla sage you could use sage -b and only rebuild the necessary bits. Now you are the first person making this kind of request about using something like the combinat queue. We probably can give you an ebuild pulling the combinat queue. There are just two caveats here: 1) it may take a bit of time for us to come up with something. 2) because I expect the queue to be somewhat in flux it would have to be a hot ebuild of some kind. If you can live with that we can probably work something out. Francois