From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Scientific Gentoo reorg: the proposal
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:13:59
1 понеділок, 26. червень 2006 14:44, Denis Dupeyron Ви написали:
2 > Is the plan to have one subproject for each sci-* category ?
3 That is one possibility. My stance is "whatever makes sense" - projects are
4 the means to organize, so I'd just follow the herd structure. However the
5 projects are more visible (that web page and some blurb after all..), so
6 following the categories makes a good sense as well. But not limited to.
7
8 For example there were a few initiatives proposed earlier on, such as HPC -
9 high performance computing. That one did not go far however under Scientific
10 Gentoo, but I think the more natural place for it would have been
11 under -cluster anyways (and that one seems to be reasonably active anyways).
12 There were talks about "closer involvment with academia", but nothing even
13 close to a sustainable idea ever came out of it (not that much time was spent
14 on that either), still, this just shows potential projects.
15
16 So, we can have Scientific Gentoo at top level consisting of active
17 subprojects (Scientific Overlay could be one such that is presently active,
18 for example) and maintainance subprojects - that's a rough idea that we can
19 fill with particulars if enough interest arises..
20
21 > > sci-biology: 58
22 > > rather large, may be worth splitting more, no particular suggestions yet
23 > > sci-chemistry: 50
24 > > may be worth splitting up as well. One suggestion is to make a category
25 > > for
26 > > sci-mathematics: 34
27 > > Ok size. There were calls to split it into symbolic and numeric, also
28 > > -proof
29 >
30 > I'm not sure we should go from not enough herds to too many in one
31 > single step. I suppose the people managing the different subcategories
32 Incidentally I was thinking about this as well :), see comment #2 in bug
33 #138049 that I just created.
34
35 > will be the same anyway, so I fail to see the point here. Or is there
36 > some other problem you're trying to address that I don't see ? My
37 Actually yes - one of the major goals of this reorg is to create sufficiently
38 small herds, so that people are not afraid to join. For example plasmaroo
39 maintains many electronics packages but he is not on sci herd, but agreed to
40 join if we split electronics off. So, while now it seems herds will have
41 mostly the same people listed, we may expect this to change when others, not
42 in sci, start to add themselves to smaller groups..
43
44 Right now sci is kind of a "stale community", as everybody just supports
45 mostly his ebuilds and roughly knows who touches what. However this structure
46 is not exposed (via normal ways), and that at 300+ packages, thus creating a
47 non-trivial barrier of entry. One of my primary goals is to lover this
48 barrier..
49
50 > I believe the problem is less about the number of packages, and more
51 > about the very specific topics touched by science apps. I would be
52 [...]
53 > them. Splitting categories into more sub-categories won't change that
54 > ratio. So I'd suggest we split packages based on topics, not on
55 > numbers.
56 Yes, so I am not going to push for anything. I just wanted to "test waters"
57 here - on whether there is a feeling that some category should be split or
58 not. As such, sci-biology will likely stay - there were no comments on that
59 one. However there was an interest in splitting off sci-crystallography from
60 chemistry for example, creating -physics and possibly splitting math-proof
61 from sci-math. It is clear that herds should be created, to represent
62 developer's wishes, categorisation should be decided based on how many
63 packages are there for each and on the desire of actual maintainers to
64 perform such action.
65
66 > > sci-electronics: 34
67 >
68 > I confirm that you can count on me for anything that's in sci-electronics.
69 Thanks! So, this is a clear candidate for the herd to be created soon then :).
72 > > sci-misc: 19
73 > > Size is Ok, but, if we follow the idea, should probably stay under sci
74 > > (herd) devs:
75 > > cryos, hansmi?, phosphan, ribosome, kugelfang?, pbienst, blubb?
76 >
77 > Agreed. But it should be clear who maintains each of them, or that
78 > will become nobody. What I mean is that for any package in the other
79 It won't be worse than it is now anyways :), but the way to regulate this is
80 exactly as you suggest below:
81
82 > categories, the name of the (sub-)herd in the metadata is usually
83 > sufficient. For packages in this category, and in sci-libs by the way,
84 > we could require there is at least one dev name.
88 > We talked about this on irc already, but it's worth mentioning it
89 > again on this list. Be careful that adding new packages or categories
90 > before getting the benefits of the reorganization, like hopefully
91 > getting more devs onboard, will just add more work for the current
92 > devs. This may definitely scare potential recruits (not talking about
93 > the current ones that may leave or lose interest due to too much
94 > work).
95 Well, of course, the recruitment should start early, as it takes quite some
96 time. Besides, what better material to train a recruit on is there than the
97 ebuilds he submitted? That was my usual mentoring practive and it seems to
98 work well :).
99 Please see bug #138021 (this is addressed to all devs). I listed the three
100 people who expressed interest in becoming maintainers and have made
101 contributions. I can mentor one, but we need two more mentors..
104 > > Any comments on the structure? Also, while sci-xxx is a "natural" name
105 > > for the category (considering our present layout) it is somewhat
106 > > cumbersome for the herd. I guess sci- part may be dropped, then, should
107 > > the rest stay spelled out or people would prefere shortcuts, like math
108 > > for mathematics, etc?
109 >
110 > Good idea. It could be argued that sci-electronics could be more
111 > properly called tech-electronics, for example. The same for the maybe
112 > future sci-cad category. So dropping the ambiguous prefix is an
113 > elegant solution to this.
114 Um, are you talking about herd or category names here? Categories will not
115 change, except for some possibly being split (they were around for far too
116 long if any reason is necessary). Herd names can be almost arbitrary - they
117 are not visible from outside and devs will know what they are woring on :).
118 So, as far as herds are concerned, this is mostly a matter of taste..
119
120 Addressing the categories yet again: I think we could really benefit from a
121 more rich hierarchy, by creating category names like say sci/math/proof or
122 sci/chemistry/crystallography (and not requiring all leafs to be the same
123 depth), but this is out of question, as portage would have to support that
124 and this just won't happen any time soon (provided this will not be killed
125 outright by screams to go to a flat "tree" of package names only and any
126 categorization done in metadata - yes, that was for real last time this was
127 discussed :))
128
129 George
130
131 > As a conclusion, assuming the above details can be worked out /
132 > clarified, I'm very much in favor of the proposed plan.
133 >
134 > Denis.
137 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list