From: Francois Bissey <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci-libs/scipy-0.9.0-r1 undefined symbol: clapack_sgesv
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:23:15
1 > EL Wed, 1 Jun 2011 06:57:03 +1200
2 >
3 > Francois Bissey <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz> escrigué:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > While updating sage and python to 4.7 and 2.7, I hit a variation of
7 > > > an old bug (see http://bugs.gentoo.org/195619): scipy compiles with
8 > > > lapack-reference but is unusable. Running in python
9 > > >
10 > > > import scipy.optimize
11 > > >
12 > > > fails with
13 > > >
14 > > > [...]
15 > > >
16 > > > from scipy.linalg import clapack
17 > > >
18 > > > ImportError:
19 > > > /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/linalg/clapack.so: undefined
20 > > > symbol: clapack_sgesv
21 > > >
22 > > > I tried rebuilding numpy and scipy with lapack provided (eselect) by
23 > > > lapack-reference, blas provided by blas-reference, cblas provided by
24 > > > gsl and with/without clapack with the same result.
25 > > >
26 > > > Then I tried rebuilding numpy and scipy with lapack, blas and cblas
27 > > > provided (eselect) by atlas and scipy worked flawlessly.
28 > > >
29 > > > Should scipy depend on a specific lapack provider instead of a
30 > > > virtual? Enable it at compile time? Is it an unfortunate
31 > > > combination what fails?
32 > > >
33 > > > I can provide build logs if you need them.
34 > >
35 > > Hi Marc,
36 > >
37 > > Just one thing that I can think of on the top of my head. We recently
38 > > made scipy depend on arpack and superlu. They also have dependencies
39 > > on blas/lapack if you didn't rebuild them as well they may cause
40 > > trouble.
41 > >
42 > > I had a similar problem recently but eselecting everything properly
43 > > worked for me. A last piece of info you could provide: are you using
44 > > the main tree implementation or bicatali's overlay implementation?
45 > >
46 > > Francois
47 >
48 > Hi Francois,
49 >
50 > I tried rebuilding arpack and superlu without luck. Since you mentioned
51 > that eselect fixed your problems, I also tried installing
52 > cblas-reference and using it instead of gsl, also without luck.
53 >
54 > I'm using the main tree implementation.
55 >
56 Hi Marc,
57
58 I have been using bicatali's overlay for a bit and I recompiled all the
59 cblas/lapack stack from sage a few times with different implementations
60 in the last few days. The only time i had an issue was when the value
61 eselected was not what I wanted by accident.
62
63 I am curious to see your build log for numpy and scipy. Also what does
64 ldd /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/scipy/linalg/clapack.so
65 reports?
66
67 Francois