From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] moving the science overlay to github?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:02:51
On Wednesday 08 February 2012 09:52:25 fbissey@××××××××××××.nz wrote:
> Quoting Sébastien Fabbro <bicatali@g.o>: > > Hi, > > > > We are contemplating the idea of switching the official science overlay > > to an external repository such as github. Here are some of the > > advantages we would like to > > get: > > 1. easier to contribute > > 2. specific issue tracker > > 3. wiki > > Other people have made useful comments already. The only point that I think > is interesting about github is the possibility to clone the overlay and have > pull requests. > Effectively that means people can contribute without ever getting infra > involved and an external contributor can send a pull request even if they > are not a member of the github science team. > > Francois
Thats right - pull requests are a very nice feature of github. For example, if I am not content with what the pull request contains, I can write that and make a suggestion how to do it better. The user can now add more commits and adapt to my suggestions (see for example [1]). That is IMO a very good example why github is better than bugzilla+bare git repo+wiki - everything is in one place and you can discuss it together. It makes things very active, maybe a move to github could also attract more contributors. [1] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/pull/103 Cheers, Christopher