From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:48:09
1 On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:52, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > Hi guys.
3 >
4 > Sorry that I did not reply yesterday, I had a presentation to prepare for
5 > today :).
6 >
7 > I actually moved to a new place already. I am in Switzerland at the moment
8 > (Geneva/Lausanne, anybody around?), starting a new postdoc position
9 > (somebody might remember my email to -core or -dev some time ago). I am
10 > getting back up to speed, however I am still in much flux and everything
11 > official takes soo long in Swiss :(. Pluss the stress of starting new work
12 > (and getting all the equipment together :))...
13
14 It is great to hear that from you, and that you are still active. I heard you
15 were moving around and we figured that may be you didn't have time right now.
16 I hope the new position goes well.
17 >
18 > There are a few points to address, so I'll structure my reply:
19 >
20 > 1.
21 > Anyway, as far as the leadership goes, I have been a lead of the sci herd
22 > ever since I created it (few eyars already, was that really that long ago?
23 > :)). Unfortunately things were rather quiet lately and, as I am not
24 > completely "on" yet, I am willing to give the leadership off to somebody
25 > who will have enough time on his hands. That, or at least I think we should
26 > have an active co-lead or may be even some more involved structure. Well,
27 > lets start with a co-lead first, so that we get at least somehting done :).
28
29 If you are still around and still want to be involved with the scientific herd
30 then I for one think you should maintain leadership of the herd, but I would
31 be glad to help out as co-lead or whatever people feel is appropriate to try
32 and get things moving a little faster in the scientific herd. We have closed
33 out quite a few bugs over the last few days already :)
34 >
35 > 2.
36 > It would be good to have more devs involved in Scientific Gentoo. I can
37 > honestly say, that it surpassed my original expectations (it started out as
38 > a single category with a herd attached) and seems to have attained a status
39 > of an important project at the intersection of science and Linux. Looks
40 > like we have people recommending others to run Gentoo because of science
41 > apps we carry. Well, at least I saw few reports to that effect some time
42 > ago :).
43 >
44 > I used to put out calls for new/interested devs to help Scientific Gentoo,
45 > when I was more active, and the responce was rather positive. However
46 > recently I did not have enough time to devote to training of new devs, so
47 > that slipped by. I think it would be usefull to reinstate that initiative,
48 > but first we need to get a head-count of who feels like doing the training.
49 > Should we have a 1 year as a dev requirement for the trainers? (not the
50 > trainees of course! They are even better picked up from science than from
51 > Linux althogether :)) I would think so, given complexity of Gentoo nowadays
52 > and that last thing we want to do is to screw our comprehension by
53 > scientific community :).
54
55 I agree with Olivier that 6 months in line with official policy seems
56 adequate, and see no reason for us to impose additional limits. I should have
57 time to mentor a suitable candidate unless you want to place the 12 month
58 requirement (in which case I have only been an official dev for 9 months or
59 so).
60 >
61 > 4.
62 > I am for the regular meetings. It is probably good to try to settle on some
63 > time (may be easier if we go through with the "more involved
64 > unfrastructure", but the real need for it will only be there if we get 2x
65 > more devs than we have now (I mean in Scientific Gentoo)). However I agree,
66 > that reviving gentoo-science@l.g.o mailing list is a more
67 > realistic (and less stressful) option. In fact, everything is setup, lets
68 > just use it! (To give an example, I am CC'ng this message to that list.
69 > Sorry for dups, if you receive it twice).
70
71 We could try and figure a time, announce it on here and open the
72 #gentoo-science channel up to all interested developers and users for
73 discussion. These discussions could also take place on the lists, and if
74 enough people turn up IRC logs could be posted here too.
75 >
76 > 5.
77 > Anything else?
78
79 I think you covered everything - it is good to hear you are still around! I
80 hope everything is going well.
81
82 Sincerely,
83
84 Marcus
85 --
86 Gentoo Linux Developer
87 Scientific Applications | AMD64 | KDE | net-proxy