From: Neil Shephard <nshephard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Installing SPSS in gentoo linux
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:41:49
1 On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Cruz Enrique Borges
2 <cruz.borges@××××××.es> wrote:
3 > Hello
4 >
5 > I was wondering if I can install SPSS in gentoo linux. I personally use R but
6 > my brother don't have the skill to manage in a command line enviorment.
7 > He has tryed rk-ward and PSPP and don't fell confortable enought so he wants
8 > to try with the spss linux port.
9 >
10 > Have anyone manage to install it? I have google for an ebuild or a how-to
11 > without luck and I will trying to download the package right now.
12
13 SPSS is licensed software so you'll have to ensure you have one.
14 Never installed before, but I'd imagine it comes packaged with an
15 installer (or as an RPM) and I'd be inclined to install locally into
16 users home directory (e.g. ~/bin). Not a very clean/gentoo approach,
17 but I doubt it warrants writing an ebuild.
18
19 You might want to consider some of the R GUI's such as...
20
21 R Commander
22 RGNumeric
23
24 ...and others detailed at http://sciviews.org/_rgui/
25
26 Neil
27 --
28 "The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
29 not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
30 of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
31 Statistician 40(1)
32
33 Email - nshephard@×××××.com
34 Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/