From: Alan Jackson <ajackson@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] gnuplot + python
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:17:05
1 Sounds like you want ggobi or Rggobi
2
3 http://www.ggobi.org/
4 http://www.ggobi.org/rggobi/
5
6 On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:04:15 -0700
7 "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
8
9 > Matías Graña wrote:
10 > > Hi; I'm doing some easy 3D plotting these days and I've come to this
11 > > situation. I just need to plot a few dots in 3D-space. I've been using
12 > > gnuplot for this, as it allows to rotate the picture with the mouse,
13 > > giving a good impression of where the dots actually are.
14 > > So far so good, but now I want it to interact with the python code I use
15 > > to compute the position of the dots. There's gnuplot-py for this, but it
16 > > seems to have the problem that once it launches a window, gnuplot does
17 > > not listen to mouse clickings on it. So I can tell my python program to
18 > > draw the dots, but then I can't rotate them as I could within a gnuplot
19 > > session.
20 > >
21 > > So, I'm looking to either
22 > > a) a way to have an interaction between gnuplot and python, or
23 > > b) another program/library that can be launched from python and able to
24 > > plot 3D dots and rotate them with the mouse.
25 > >
26 > > Any insight or advice is welcome.
27 > >
28 > > Thanks,
29 > > Matías
30 >
31 > There are oodles of scientific interfaces to Python. I'm guessing there
32 > is at least one that will do this. I'm not a Pythonista, however, I'm a
33 > Rubyist, so I can't give you any names, or tell you whether what you
34 > want to do is in Portage or not. One you might want to check is Sage
35 > (http://sagemath.org/). Another is StatPy
36 > (http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/)
37 >
38 > However, this is a very common mode of interaction in exploratory data
39 > analysis, and just about every statistics package out there can do this.
40 > xlisp-stat used to be in Portage, but it's in Lisp. And R is in Portage
41 > for sure and is what *I* use to do this sort of thing. If you don't mind
42 > learning another language, I'd recommend R.
43 >
44 > There is supposedly an R-Python interface available, but since I don't
45 > know Python, I've never bothered to check it out. If you want to go this
46 > way, do a Google search for "RSPython".
47 > --
48 > gentoo-science@g.o mailing list
53 | Alan K. Jackson | To see a World in a Grain of Sand |
54 | alan@××××××××.org | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, |
55 | www.ajackson.org | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
56 | Houston, Texas | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake |
58 --
59 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list