From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: Tony Murray <tonymurray@××××××××.fm>
Subject: [gentoo-science] New Boinc based SETI@home client
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:47:26
1 Hi,
2
3 I added the new Boinc based SETI@home client to the tree on Sunday. I would
4 really appreciate some testing from the people on this list if any of you
5 have the time. It is quite different to the old client, which is now
6 obsolete.
7
8 I think it is mostly working and Boinc downloads the client for x86 machines.
9 The remaining issue I seem to have is that when running /etc/init.d/boinc
10 attach it deletes the custom downloaded client and tries to download its own.
11 On amd64 this breaks it as they don't provide one. Emerging setiathome-4.18
12 again and then restarting boinc fixes this, with a 24 hour delay in
13 communication with the scheduling server!
14
15 So I think the attach function needs a little more magic in it to deal with
16 this, or possibly a patch to the boinc function that attaches to new projects
17 to allow it to recognise our custom client. Any ideas you guys might have on
18 this problem would be appreciated, as well as feedback on how well the new
19 packages work.
20
21 The old versions of setiathome will be masked shortly as the download URLs are
22 no longer valid, and I don't believe that the project works with the old
23 client anymore (anyone confirm this?).
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 Marcus
28 --
29 Gentoo Linux Developer
30 Scientific Applications | AMD64 | KDE | net-proxy