From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] la files for sci-libs/mpir
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:54:00
On Saturday 13 August 2011 23:40:58 you wrote:
> Hi science devs, > > An amd64 arch tester asked me to 'remove the .la files' from mpir. I > must admit that I still don't see through this. Not all .la files are > evil, or are they? Should the ones coming with mpir not be installed? > > Thanks for any hints, > Thomas
Hi Thomas, most of the time they are just unnecessary - if you do not install both shared and static libraries I suggest to drop them. I am not an expert, but Flameeyes has some enlightening post on his blog, e.g. http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/04/14/what-about-those-la-files I suggest you simply use the autotool-utils.eclass (mpir uses autotools, right?) which take care of them. The eclass' manpage provides a nice example how to achieve this behavior (note the use of "static-libs" USE-flag). Cheers, Christopher