From: Henry Gebhardt <hsggebhardt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] New sci-astronomy/ftools-6.6.2.ebuild
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:09:37
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I have created an ebuild for the ftools from heasarc, used
4 for inspecting and manipulating astronomical FITS files[1].
5 As those are widely used in the astronomical community,
6 I think they would make a great addition to Gentoo.
7
8 Unfortunately, the attached ebuild has several problems.
9
10 1.) LICENSE="UNKOWN": Does anyone know what the
11 correct license is?
12
13 2.) SRC_URI: What should it be set to? Currently, you will
14 have to download the tarball yourself from [2], choose only
15 the "General-Use FTOOLS", nothing else.
16
17 3.) The ebuild only works with "General-Use FTOOLS",
18 no XSpec. Ideally there would be a USE="xspec", but
19 how to do that. I don't use XSpec, so wont investigate
20 further for now. Maybe the ebuild could auto-detect what
21 the user downloaded?
22
23 4.) DESTDIR: The src_install() function does an
24 "addwrite /usr/heasoft-6.6.2" to let the heasoft tools
25 make the install. Better would be for them to support
26 the $DESTDIR variable, but I have tried and failed.
27 Maybe it's ok?
28
29 5.) Reinstall: Due to the previous item, you have to
30 "emerge -C ftools" before reinstalling. Can that be
31 automated? Currently, it just fails, telling you to unmerge.
32
33 6.) Sourcing "$HEADAS/headas-init.sh" is still needed to
34 be done by the user.
35
36 Any help is much appreciated.
37
38 Greetings,
39 Henry
42 [1] http://heasarc.nasa.gov/lheasoft/ftools/ftools_menu.html
43 [2] http://heasarc.nasa.gov/lheasoft/download.html

installManPage-S-namecollision.patch application/octet-stream
ftools-6.6.2.ebuild application/octet-stream