From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:24:25
On Sunday 29 January 2006 22:15, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Marcus D. Hanwell wrote: > > Just to confirm that I have added the new category and moved all the > > applications that were in my list. Please let me know if there are any > > that I have missed. Also let me know if you spot any issues with the move > > that I might have missed. I went with the longer name as that was the > > prevailing opinion (still preferred the short name myself). > > > > The category is intended for visualisation applications, so please don't > > move any libraries such as plplot etc into there. I know there are also > > some very hazy applications such as gmt which is now very generic and > > used by many more people than just geo-sci folks. So I welcome discussion > > on anything else you might feel should be moved. It is good having them > > out of media-gfx though :) > > Now the question is, can we put less general-purpose visualization > programs there? For example, molecular graphics programs.
I personally would say yes, and that is why I wanted to keep it general. However I can see the argument for them going in sci-chemistry too. I was tempted to put stuff like easychem in there as it has no real purpose other than to draw chemical structures for print etc. I welcome the opinions of others on this.