From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:24:25
1 On Sunday 29 January 2006 22:15, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 > > Just to confirm that I have added the new category and moved all the
4 > > applications that were in my list. Please let me know if there are any
5 > > that I have missed. Also let me know if you spot any issues with the move
6 > > that I might have missed. I went with the longer name as that was the
7 > > prevailing opinion (still preferred the short name myself).
8 > >
9 > > The category is intended for visualisation applications, so please don't
10 > > move any libraries such as plplot etc into there. I know there are also
11 > > some very hazy applications such as gmt which is now very generic and
12 > > used by many more people than just geo-sci folks. So I welcome discussion
13 > > on anything else you might feel should be moved. It is good having them
14 > > out of media-gfx though :)
15 >
16 > Now the question is, can we put less general-purpose visualization
17 > programs there? For example, molecular graphics programs.
18
19 I personally would say yes, and that is why I wanted to keep it general.
20 However I can see the argument for them going in sci-chemistry too. I was
21 tempted to put stuff like easychem in there as it has no real purpose other
22 than to draw chemical structures for print etc. I welcome the opinions of
23 others on this.