From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage-4.3.5-r1 && sage-core
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:02:23
1 On Monday 19 April 2010 05:18:21 François Bissey wrote:
2 > > Hi Steve,
3 > >
4 > > On Sunday 18 April 2010 21:10:17 Steven Trogdon wrote:
5 > > > Christopher,
6 > > >
7 > > >
8 > > >
9 > > > I've finally gotten around to trying the changes and a clean emerge of
10 > > > everything installs as it should. Here a revdep-rebuild reveals that
11 > > > libsingular.so can't be found. The proposed resolution is to re-emerge
12 > > > sage-core which, of course, doesn't resolve the issue. What's the
13 > > > procedure to update the ld cache when libraries like libsingular.so are
14 > > > not in the "standard" location? Should something be done in
15 > > > sage-singular that doesn't compromise things?
16 > >
17 > > I noticed the same behavior and looked at /etc/ld.so.cache which pointed
18 > > to /etc/env.d/... - so the gentoo way of doing this would be to add a
19 > > file which contains LDPATH="/opt/sage/local/lib". Though I did not test
20 > > it, it should work and I will add this file tomorrow.
21 >
22 > Hi guys,
23 >
24 > I don't like that solution at all. What will happen if you have system wide
25 > singular and sage-singular?
26 > If you add this file there is a good chance that someone wanting to use
27 > the system provided singular will end up using sage-singular.
28
29 Yes, thats right! - I did not think of that.
32 > Just for the purpose of testing for side effects, I installed
33 > singular-3.1.1. revdep-rebuild didn't pick up on sage-core after that.
34 > Probably because libsingular lacks an soname and is completely
35 > unversioned.
36 >
37 > No. sage-env takes care of telling sage where to look. There is no real
38 > perfect solution so long as we have ship sage-singular.
39 > For now I would put a file in /etc/revdep-rebuild masking the offending
40 > libraries.
41 > 50sage-core:
42 > #Those files look for a version of libsingular that will be located through
43 > # LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run-time.
44 > LD_LIBRARY_MASK="lib1.so lib2.so lib3.so"
45
46 Another option (read: hack) would be to create a separate directory containing
47 a symlink to libsingular.so (this is the only library which is reported by
48 revdep-rebuild) and to point revdep-rebuild to this directory. Of course, this
49 is not the best way of getting rid of this error.
50
51 In my opinion, the best "solution" would be to print out a warning/info after
52 installing sage-core which basically says revdep-rebuild reports false
53 positives and just wait for the Sage people upgrading to a new release of
54 Singular (see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8059 and
55 http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8228).
59 > Of course that means that revdep-rebuild cannot pick up the fact that
60 > they are broken. Which of course it may not be able to do anyway because
61 > of the lack of versioning.
62 > On the positive side a change in sage-singular will always coincide with
63 > a change of sage-core so there shouldn't be any trouble.
64 >
65 > Francois
66
67 Christopher