From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] moving the science overlay to github?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:02:59
1 On 02/08/2012 01:31 AM, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
2 > fbissey@××××××××××××.nz писал 2012-02-07 23:52:
3 >> Quoting Sébastien Fabbro <bicatali@g.o>:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> We are contemplating the idea of switching the official science overlay
8 >>> to an external repository such as github. Here are some of the
9 >>> advantages we would like to
10 >>> get:
11 >>> 1. easier to contribute
12 >>> 2. specific issue tracker
13 >>> 3. wiki
14 >>>
15 >> Other people have made useful comments already. The only point that I
16 >> think
17 >> is interesting about github is the possibility to clone the overlay
18 >> and have
19 >> pull requests.
20 >> Effectively that means people can contribute without ever getting infra
21 >> involved and an external contributor can send a pull request even if
22 >> they are
23 >> not a member of the github science team.
24 >>
25 >> Francois
26 >
27 > Actualy you can send pull request even now =) Its git. See for example
28 > linux kernel related work
29 You can also git-format your patches and send it using git-am, gpg sign
30 them and sed out typos on the fly. The point is that's not exactly
31 simpler for someone who's doing his/her first commit than clicking a
32 button on github :)
33 Cheers,
34 Kacper