From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] sage-doc optional via "doc" USE flag?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:07:06
Quoting v_2e@×××.net:

> Hello! > I would like to suggest making the "sage-doc" package optional via > the "doc" USE flag for "sage" package. >
Hi Vladimir, That look like a reasonable idea but we would have to change the way we do things before doing that. We made the current decision some time ago and it may be time to revisit it. It is compulsory now because it installs the help system for sage. The html and/or pdf files are just icing on the cake and you don't have to install them. The html come in handy with the notebook however, since you can access it directly. If you don't install sage-doc you cannot ask sage for help on any command using "?". For example if you do: integrate? you will get help on the syntax and some example. I think this is a fundamental part of sage. If you disagree I am ready to hear about your argument. Francois