From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: Miguel de Val-Borro <miguel.deval@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci-mathematics/reduce on amd64
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:53:53
1 On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Miguel de Val-Borro wrote:
2 > There is also a warning about an unrecognized configure option:
3 > configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-gui
4 This package is a QA nightmare :-( It bundles modified sources of
5 x11-libs/fox (it does not compile with the system fox). First, it compiles
6 this bundled fox, and installs it somewhere inside the build tree. Then it
7 configures csl (and thus finds this freshly installed fox) and compiles
8 it. Then it compiles reduce with csl. During this process, autoconf is
9 called from make ("maintainer mode") many times. And each time, the
10 arguments of the top-level configure are passed to all configure scripts
11 in subdirectories. --with-gui is needed by one configure script (this is
12 controlled by the USE flag X; with -X, fox is not built, and csl and
13 reduce work at the command line only). But this --with-gui is passed to
14 all configure scripts in various directories (fox sources, for example),
15 and these scripts don't recognize this option. Ugly, but this works.
16
17 > Here is the full build log on amd64:
18 > http://paste.pocoo.org/show/523967/
19 Many thanks. Looks OK.
20
21 I really want reduce to become more popular. There are only 3 free
22 computer algebra systems: maxima, reduce, axiom (I don't count toys like
23 yacas; and axiom has forked into axiom, openaxiom, and fricas). reduce is
24 mature (from late 60s), powerful and very efficient. So, I have to live
25 somehow with the weirdness of its current build system.
26
27 I suppose I can keyword it ~amd64, so that more users will have a chance
28 to install it.
29
30 Andrey