From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] RFC sci-mathematics/axiom
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 03:05:59
1 On 09:09 Fri 01 Oct , Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > Hi Francois and everyone,
3 >
4 > > Have you tried to contact upstream (Tim Daly) to see if being packaged in
5 > > a distro is something they are interested in.
6 > > I personally would last rite it and possibly revisit the situation every so
7 > > often. If it doesn't even build I am not sure there is a point in keeping it
8 > > in the tree.
9 >
10 > I'm in contact with Tim Daly now, who seems very interested in getting
11 > axiom to work on Gentoo. The main problem that I see here, and also with
12 > the developers of Macaulay 2, is that upstream often does not feel any
13 > urge to unsplit their build systems. They just build internal copies of
14 > whatever they need. So here with axiom it is that the already internal
15 > gcl builds an internal gmp and upstream would like it better to apply
16 > our gentoo patches to that internal gmp instead of making it work with
17 > system wide gmp. I find it hard to communicate that internal copies are
18 > evil(TM). How do you guys handle that ?
19
20 You may communicate that they are simply a requirement for many Linux
21 distributions, and leave it at that. One way to satisfy both sides might
22 be to have the bundled libraries optionally built. Many developers of
23 packages with specialized dependencies want to make it easier to install
24 their code, so they want to have the option available (and likely on by
25 default). What I recommend the package should do is:
26
27 - probe the system to autodetect whether the dependency is installed
28 - allow manual overrides via configure flags
29 - if not found, then build/install the bundled version
32 Thanks,
33 Donnie
34
35 Donnie Berkholz