From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] RFC sci-mathematics/axiom
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:48:22
1 Thomas Kahle wrote:
2
3 > I'm in contact with Tim Daly now, who seems very interested in getting
4 > axiom to work on Gentoo. The main problem that I see here, and also with
5 > the developers of Macaulay 2, is that upstream often does not feel any
6 > urge to unsplit their build systems. They just build internal copies of
7 > whatever they need.  So here with axiom it is that the already internal
8 > gcl builds an internal gmp and upstream would like it better to apply
9 > our gentoo patches to that internal gmp instead of making it work with
10 > system wide gmp.  I find it hard to communicate that internal copies are
11 > evil(TM).  How do you guys handle that ?
12
13 You can always point to one of the numerous flameeyes blog post [1]
14 against bundled libraries, but I'm sure you can come up with a more
15 concise explanation.
16
17 [1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/03/23/bundling-libraries-the-curse-of-the-ancients
20 Sébastien