From: "François Bissey" <f.r.bissey@×××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o, sage-devel@××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-science] sage-on-gentoo status at version 4.4.4
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:03:53
1 Hi all,
2
3 this message is cross-posted between the gentoo-science and sage-devel
4 mailing lists.
5
6 So this is sage-4.4.4 and we have come a long way.
7 sage-on-gentoo is now usable for the majority of people and can be used
8 to test development ideas.
9 We have a page where we list our current issues:
10 http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues
11 Like femhub we have completely eliminated the spkg-install system a while
12 ago.
13 We have started neutering sage - on gentoo upgrades are the prerogative
14 of the package manager - so goodbye "sage -upgrade/-b/-ba" and so on.
15 We use python from the system so any python package installed by the
16 system is available to sage at no extra cost.
17
18 Most tests pass. Out of the tests that don't pass the vast majority of failure
19 are "cosmetic" example:
20 sage -t -force_lib "devel/sage/doc/en/constructions/plotting.rst"
21 **********************************************************************
22 File "/opt/sage/devel/sage/doc/en/constructions/plotting.rst", line 209:
23 sage: maxima.eval('load("plotdf");')
24 Expected:
25 '".../local/share/maxima/.../share/dynamics/plotdf.lisp"'
26 Got:
27 '"/usr/share/maxima/5.20.1/share/dynamics/plotdf.lisp"'
28 **********************************************************************
29
30 Failure is expected here. I especially like this one:
31 sage -t -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/misc/package.py"
32 **********************************************************************
33 File "/opt/sage/devel/sage/sage/misc/package.py", line 158:
34 sage: is_package_installed('sage')
35 Expected:
36 True
37 Got:
38 False
39 **********************************************************************
40
41 Out of rest the only consistent one is issue 1:
42 http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues#issue/1
43 of which I have already talked about on sage-devel before and is
44 linked to a change applied in python-2.6.5, solution will have to come
45 from sage eventually.
46
47 The other failures reported are inconsistent and affect a few users at
48 random. There are 3 of these (issues 3, 5, 6).
49
50 If you look at the issue tracker there are two more issues listed:
51 *failure in ecl.pyx - this is solved, it turns out that sage is allergic to
52 an ecl that has been compiled with unicode support.
53 *we have mpfr 3 in the tree so we have experimented with it. It leads
54 to a very strange failure on x86 but not amd64.
55
56 A few differences with vanilla sage:
57 * we have moved to cvxopt-1.1.2 and adopted the sage ticket solving the
58 related doctests.
59 * We have dropped jinja-1 and migrated entirely to jinja-2 adopting
60 ticket #8316.
61 * mpfi-1.4 we have adopted latest upstream (and patched it for mpfr-3) without
62 issues.
63 * We only use the one blas - namely usually atlas because linbox favors it.
64 * gsl-1.13 - no visible issues.
65 * no f2c.
66 There may be other differences related to packages that are linked to the
67 system (freetype and so on). Apart from python there are no issues with any
68 of these.
69
70 Work to do:
71 put everything in the right place, there a few things that still need to be
72 relocated in a different place in the file system. We may make a move on
73 that in sage-4.5.
74
75 Outstanding issues:
76 -singular: we really wish sage would move to the latest upstream.
77 -pickles in python: this will be a problem as long as upstream doesn't pick
78 it. We can deal with it but the current status is unsatisfactory.
79 -moin: doesn't really work right now, not sure we care.
80 -pexpect: version 2 is outdated, version 2.4 has trouble with graphics in the
81 notebook.
82 -jmol: it is working but the current set up is not optimal because of the way
83 jmol is packaged in gentoo.
84 -mpir: we are currently using gmp throughout - gmp being a system package
85 needed by gcc we cannot use sage trick of having mpir disguised as gmp.
86 Everything has to be ported to native mpir - a lot has been done in this
87 direction but there is a stumbling block with mpfr which is also needed by
88 gcc, so we would literally need 2 versions of mpfr installed and pick the
89 right one. Not so difficult just long and boring.
90
91 Future:
92 -Making glpk an option as there is move to make it a standard package.
93 -pari-svn just to make my life difficult. This will be done shortly and we will
94 try to have it as an option for 4.4.4 as William stein has posted patches to
95 do this. But it will have to join singular in isolation until further notice.
96 -sage3d if this in sage to stay, make it an install option.
97 -gentoo-prefix: making sage available on other platform through gentoo-prefix,
98 Christopher is looking at this on windows and I have access OS X 10.5.
99
100 If have been reading this far - thank you for your time.
101 Christopher may add comments on anything that I forgot.
102
103 Cheers,
104 Francois