From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage status
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:23:41
1 Hi,
2
3 On Monday 26 April 2010 01:22:48 Thomas Kahle wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > > * for those of you living on ~arch and are getting headaches because
7 > > you cannot update python to version 2.6.5, I have committed a patched
8 > > python-2.6.5 to the overlay. This is not supported by the sage devs so
9 > > there may be problems.
10 >
11 > For those of us living in x86, is it save to use python-2.6.4-r99 as the
12 > system python??
13 > I'm slightly worried to use a sage-patched python on global scale...
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 > Thomas
17
18 that is a good point - we are also not happy to ship our own python, but
19 unfortunately a lot of Sage functions are not working without it, as you
20 already may know.
21
22 The difference to the non -r99 version is only a small patch, which is waiting
23 to be integrated into python (see http://bugs.python.org/issue7689 for an
24 exhaustive description and patch). I see no reason why this patch should not
25 be safe - its adding new functionality and does not break existing code. I am
26 using python-2.6.4-r99 since we were introducing it and did not notice any
27 problems.
28
29 We are hoping that the python people integrate this as soon as possible, but
30 if you are looking at the bug report date you can see that it already is 3 1/2
31 months old - does anybody know how to speed up the process ?
32
33 Christopher